The USPS (United States Postal Service) mail forwarding service is used to forward postal mail from one address to another.
So if you’re moving out and need your mail sent to your new address or even if you’re going on vacation and want to temporarily redirect your mail, this is for you. Offering both options, a temporary or a permanent change of address, you can pull out the Official USPS Change of Address Form from online and quickly redirect your mail for the cost of $1.
You can also head down to your local Post Office and get it done there but doing it online is the time-saving alternative. But what if you no longer need the service or your trip plans were canceled? You can easily cancel the mail forwarding service online and this is your guide to do it.
How to cancel USPS Mail Forwarding?
Step 1: Change of Address Form:
- Go to the USPS Mover’s Guide website
Read more about: USPS Change of Address Guide
Step 2: Confirmation Code:
On this page, you will be required to enter your confirmation code and new zip code.
If you applied for the online change of address , you should’ve received the confirmation code with the confirmation email sent afterwards.
However, if you’ve applied for a change of address in person through the local Post Office, you would’ve received a confirmation in your mail at your new address.
If you lost your confirmation number or can’t relocate it:
- You’ll have to go to the US Post Office directly and can’t get the cancellation done online.
- You’ll be asked to verify your identity and fill in a form, but the process is still simple.
- Once you put in your confirmation code and new ZIP code (of your new address), click on “submit” to be taken to the next page.
Step 3: Choose an Option:
After reaching this page, you will be presented with a list of options to choose from.
- You can change the mail forwarding start date or end date,
- change your phone number or email address to receive notifications,
- switch moving statuses from temporary to permanent
- switch from a family move to an individual move
- cancel your change of address order ( cancel mail forwarding altogether).
However, some elements on the page like your name or address are not editable. If changes need to be made on them, you’ll need to cancel your change of address order and apply for a new one.
Please keep in mind that for changes or updates, you cannot make more than two changes per day. But for cancellation, you can get that done at any time.
Having your confirmation code is the most important step in canceling your mail forwarding service.
Without it, the process will definitely take longer so always be sure to keep your confirmation code safe.
And finally, these were the few simple steps you need to do in order to cancel the service. Get it done quickly online or at your nearest Post Office.
An alternative to activating and canceling mail forwarding would be to apply for a virtual mailbox service.
With a virtual mailbox, you can easily control mail and forward it to any address, at any time without needing to worry about changing the address or signing up for mail forwarding.
Learn more: How to Forward Postal Mail to Someone?